Are you planning to move to Canada? Do you happen to be an American citizen? Then you need some tips and advice on how to go about the whole process of moving to a different country. Here are a few things you need to know about moving from America to Canada.
- Look for a long distance moving company that goes to Canada. Do your research and plan out costs. For example, relocating to Toronto from New York can cost anywhere between $12,000 – $15,000. Be sure your plan your finances accordingly. Also try to choose a reputable long distance moving company who has been around a long time.
- Canada is a big country. If you are not very comfortable with the geographical situation in the country, doing research will help you. Find out where to settle. Some factors which should be considered during the process are the local job market, weather patterns, cost of living and the availability of affordable housing. There are also great companies you can look into for help, especially when it comes to relocating to Toronto.
- When moving from America to Canada you don’t really need anything much, but when it comes to settling down, you will need your Visa. While you wait for your Visa to arrive, a good idea would be to practice your French and English if you are not already comfortable with it. Relocating to Toronto can assist in your merge into Canada is it offers a number of support systems.
- Before moving in permanently to Canada, it is a good idea to spend a few days in the country to explore around ie relocating to Toronto can be a challenge, as it is such a busy city. You can look for places to live in and can even drop your resume to potential employers in Canada. Decide when you will move to Canada. Winter in Canada can be quite severe in some areas and that can pose problems while shifting with your family. If you do have to move during the winter, make sure that you have pre- arranged transportation and accommodation.
- It is extremely important to plan your move to Canada beforehand. Selling or giving away your unnecessary stuff is the first thing you need to do as you can’t take all the stuff to another country. Ask for estimates from a few companies which handle international moving services. As mentioned before, relocating to Toronto from New York can be a serious pocket problem and confusing process. Find all the documentation you are going to need for moving into the country beforehand so that when the D- Day arrives you can be a lot less stressed.
- It is not wise to close your bank accounts in America before you are well settled in Canada. Keep them running for a few months after you’re entire relocating to Toronto process. As soon as you arrive in the country, go speak to your local bank and ask for an account to be opened and also apply for a credit card. It may take you a few months to establish a credit history in the country though. So it would not be a good idea to close your accounts in America before that.
- After you arrive in Canada, feeling at home immediately is not possible. It will take you days and may be even weeks or month to call Canada home. So be prepared to be homesick for a while. But don’t spend too much time on it because starting life in a new country can be a challenging experience. Start looking for a job and explore the town you have settled in. Get acclimatized to your new place of living. Try and make new friends and your life will become a lot more comfortable and you will not regret your idea of relocation to Canada.